Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Running Update: If you're happy and you know it

I lied.

Before I left for the gym last night I told my husband that I wasn't going to go all crazy and run hard or anything.  Well, that didn't happen.  Once I start running, I get a little myopic.  All that matters is making it to the next tenth and then the next tenth.  Such a sucker.
 
I was a little rough on myself last night.  My run started out nice and cheery, but I had forgotten my water bottle so that little mind trip was floating around in my head threatening to de-tread me, and I loped my way up to 2.5.  BREAK.  Jumped off to get a sip of water then hopped back on, and this is where my run turned bad.
I couldn't run it out at all.  My stomach was so queasy my eyes started swimming a little so I fast walked at 4.0 and 3% incline.  Determined to walk out at LEAST one more mile.  But walking is so boring.  In spite of my stomach clawing around, I clicked in 5.0 and slow jogged on an incline of 3.5%.  There was no letting myself off easy.  So last night I did 3.5 miles.

My ab workout was cut short.  I only did 40 ab sets, but I did them with a 4lb medicine ball to make sure I was really digging in.  Then I went and worked my legs out.  45 reps.  The first 30, I set the leg press machine to 90lbs and the last 15 reps were at 110 lbs.  There are a variety of ways to use the leg press machine to optimize ones workout.  Maybe I'll take my camera in some time and show you what I do.  My goal is to be able to press my body own body weight....shoot, I almost told you all how much I weigh....hahah.  Maybe someday, maybe someday.

Then I did 20 arm reps.  Nothing special but I just wanted to make my workout feel like a workout.  It's hard not to push yourself when you're used to a certain rhythm in the gym.

Today is CROSS-TRAINING day, which, for me, is yoga.  Hopefully, I'll run another 2+ miles and then cool down with an hour of yoga.  Yoga is a runner's dream.  Seriously.  I'm not a pro but I can tell you my body thanks me EVERY time...
Silent cheerleaders, what are your plans to stay healthy and move this week?  Challenge yourself a little.  Do you run the dreadmill, too?  Do you have it on an incline?  Pump it up to 2% incline and feel the burn.

3 comments:

  1. We are having BE-U-tiful weather! I've already run over 30 miles this week. Feeling a little insane here, but loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, there is no way I could possibly do that! I don't have enough time in the day. Uhg. Jealous. But I'm glad that you beautiful running weather, it gives me hope that my weather isn't too far off the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking in some more cardio at the gym this week, running on the treadmill for my 5k training, and doing a spin class with my sister-in-law in Charlotte NC this weekend! Funnnn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. As corny as it sounds, I LOVE them! Even if you think your comment is of no consequence, please leave it. They make me smile from the tip of my toes...yes, they do.