Thursday, January 27, 2011

Running Update: Coping

To be honest, this is getting me down:

It's pretty when it first arrives, but then it hangs around and hangs around and...you're like, dude, you've sooo worn out your welcome.  Who likes 20 degree temps anyway?  Not to mention that when the sun goes down it can get as cold as 7.  Noway.  I have had it.

Last night I ran 4.4 and felt great!  I could have kept running but I had a workout partner that I had to meet up with.  I love having someone to keep me company.
The last part of my run I kicked the incline up to 6.5% and ran at 6.7mph.  I was hiking my knees high and focusing on my breathing.  It was hard.  I miss running on REAL hills, though. Soon enough, soon enough.
O!  And before I forget, I've decided to cross train two days a week.  Tuesdays and Thursdays I will be doing yoga and pilates.  It's soo important to strengthen your surrounding muscles.  When I first started running, my partner tried to express how crucial it was to stretch and do abs after our runs.  I wasn't into it.  First of all, I could barely breath because she was so much faster than I was and I spent the whole time trying to keep up, so by the time we got back it was all I could do to not fall on my face.
But now, you won't catch me sitting down after a run; I immediately fold over into a nice stretching routine followed by 130 abs.  The difference between my pre  "I'm-too-tired-to-stretch" running and my now running is huge. 
Bottom line: DON'T be lazy.  Think smart and do what you need to do to protect your body from injury.

Silent cheerleaders, I'm not running out of steam, I'm just warming up.  Hip-hip!

8.6 miles, this week, and counting


**The YTD mileage summary: 59.7**

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you for even going to the gym in that weather. You'll have great base miles when the weather changes. Spring is coming!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. As corny as it sounds, I LOVE them! Even if you think your comment is of no consequence, please leave it. They make me smile from the tip of my toes...yes, they do.